Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Living in the Bundang


After my last blog, I thought that I might take a moment to reassure everyone that while there may be the occasional weirdo that makes for a great anecdote, my day to day life is far from that weird.  We have been living here in the Bundang area for about 2 months now, and it is such a departure from downtown Seoul that it is worthy of some commentary.  I will, however, be interrupting the sections with occasional bizarre observations that I have made.  There will be no rhyme or reason to why they are where they are.  Just so nobody complains about the randomly placed battery man…you’ll see. 



Spring is in full bloom here.  The weather has warmed up and the flowers added a much needed amount of color.  Life has been good.  Bundang is significantly cleaner than downtown.  Now I am a fan of urban decay, but there is something very soothing about wonderfully designed buildings that have employed armies of groundskeepers, complete with posh cafes, bars, and restaurants.  Seriously, some parts of this town feel more like Tampa than anything that I would have thought to find in South Korea.  Just this afternoon Rachel and I were out enjoying the spring sunshine.  We walked along the river (it even has real fish in it), taking in the sweet smells of blooming trees, before enjoying a lovely lunch at a deli.  Let me pause for a moment as to underscore the importance of that last sentence.  A deli is a very rare thing here, and finding one that understands what prosciutto is, is even rarer.  The occasional Subway is not unusual, but I found one that was a treat indeed. 

 



Rachel and I were looking around the local E-Mart for some cheese and wine for our new Monday ritual of TV shows, when suddenly a man in an Energizer Battery suit appeared.  Like any walking mascot that has escaped the department of wacky ideas (located in the basement of Disney), he began entertaining children and trying to appear fun and appealing to kids.  Now I am sure that someone somewhere thought it a good idea, but I am not sure who would have approved this.  I mean, who in their right mind would have thought that a walking battery with a “hey little children, do you want some candy?” smile, was a good idea…other than Not Dr. House

Where was I?  Rachel and I have been living the good life, a steady supply of good food, peaceful soundings, a leather couch, and even a gym membership.  Did I forget to mention that part?  Yes, Rachel and I have entered yuppy status with our fancy gym memberships, complete with provided workout clothes and spinning classes.  Well, we’re not taking the spinning class, but it was offered.  For about a month now we have been dedicating time every other day to getting healthy.  There are times though, where it almost feels like cheating when I get on the treadmill with the attached TV.  I have been in luck the last few times I have used it, too.  I was able to catch The Shawshank Redemption, X-Men: First Class, and Robin Hood (2010) the last few days that I have gone.  40 minutes on a treadmill seems to go by a lot faster somehow.  It hasn’t been long enough for serious results, but I have noticed minor improvements. 

Have you found Jesus?  That is a question that I did not think I would hear in person since coming here, however since moving down to Bundang, we have been asked it (in one form or another) not once, but twice.  The first time was when I was mailing something at the post office.  A woman approached me while I was standing in line, and began speaking to me in the most broken English that I have yet to hear.  Through the dribble of words I did hear the words “know”, “you”, “Zezus”, and “Christian”.  Now, many of you who know me may be cringing at theoretical responses that I may or may not employ.  The truth is I didn’t have the time or focus for a creative response that would strike fear in her to the 6th generation, so instead I said I was Jewish and she left me alone.  It’s amazing to me how often that works…The second time, Rachel and I were at home and we had a door to door missionary.  Again, I was denied a snappy comeback because I getting dressed and Rachel had answered the door.  So, she said she was Jewish and he left.  Like I said. 



Going back to gyms and daily living, along with a topic from an earlier blog. I have been continually vexed by clothes shopping.  There have been several moments since we have moved down to Bundang where I thought to myself, “Now...this time will be different”.  It wasn’t.  Our new Mega E-Mart came complete with a Payless Shoes, promising “BIG SIZES”.  It is one thing to not find anything that is even close to your size, and another thing entirely to find things that are just O so too small.  Found shoes around the right size, too narrow.  Found a summer sports jacket, too tight in the sleeves (a down side of going to the gym I guess).  Found new shirts, one size too small…ONE!  The editor would like to add that the same problem has occurred with “women’s shoes”.  Some of the men’s shoes fit, but it makes the editor sad that she cannot find pretty shoes in her size.  It is increasingly vexing that I now have the money and desire to expand and change my wardrobe, but am unable to do so.  Sigh…

I have said to several people that I am not living in North Korea.  For about 30 seconds that came into doubt.  As it turns out, our new apartment has a speaker in it.  One day, around 8:30 in the morning, our speaker came to life and spoke loudly for about 2 minutes.  Now, many of you employing your logic will just say that it was an announcement saying that the water, or elevators, were going to be turned off for a few hours.  However, for the sake of humor, I choose to think that it was state run propaganda, piped directly into our kitchen. 



All in all things have been going so much better than where we were a year ago.  We have a community, comfort, and a colorful, clean area.  I mean, I’m writing this on a leather couch.  A leather couch.  Some things to look forward to in the future include a trip to one of the larger old castles in the country, and a possible trip to Everland (the Korean version of Disneyland). 

Till then dear reader, take care.  

No comments:

Post a Comment